Summer will be here before you know it. One way to keep kids and their minds active is frequent visits to the Bennett Public Library. Just experiencing the library helps install a lifelong love for reading. Adding a full summer of events focusing on kids, we make reading the cool thing to do this summer.. ImaginationSoup.com has more ideas on making summer reading happen:
1. CHOICE: Let your kids choose the books they read.
2. BOUNTY: Fill your house with lots of books. More books = more chances for your children to find a fantastic, amazing, very good book that they can’t put down.
3. LIBRARY: Use your library. Let your kids go WILD and check out lots of books!
4. TIME: Kids need opportunities for reading. So, make sure they’re not filling all their time with TV, video games,
and iPad time.
5. TECHNOLOGY: Don’t forget about audiobooks, Kindles, iPads, and Nook reading. Those count too.
6. READABILITY: Make sure your child is reading books that he or she can actually comprehend. When choosing a book, use the 5 finger test to decide if it’s the right book. During and after reading, ask your child to tell you a little bit about the story. If you haven’t read the story, read the back and ask questions pertaining to that summary. Make sure your child is understanding what they read.